This toolkit pack includes four checklists & templates for the onboarding process, a new hire's first day, and facilitating your onboarding buddy program.
15 Best Employee Onboarding Software Tools (2023)
Employee onboarding is a crucial part of a new hire’s journey. It provides the perfect opportunity for them to form bonds and build a solid foundation with the company from the beginning.
An effective employee onboarding process aligns new hires with your mission, sets them up for success, positively impacts performance, boosts employee engagement, invokes a sense of loyalty, and helps improve long-term employee retention rates.
What Is Employee Onboarding Software?
Employee onboarding software are digital platforms that empower HR departments to ease their load and facilitate smooth and simple onboarding for new hires. These software are designed to streamline the tasks associated with onboarding and facilitate a completely digital completion of onboarding tasks like documentation requirements, colleague introductions, and training planning.
15 Best Employee Onboarding Software Solutions in 2023
- Microsoft Teams
- Bamboo HR
- Click boarding
- I Done This
- HR Partner
- Work Bright
Features of Onboarding Software
A few of the most common features of onboarding software for new employees include:
1. User-friendly interface
If your new hires have to spend hours chatting with tech support or reaching out to HR to complete their onboarding application, even with an onboarding software in place, it’s time to change your software. An employee onboarding software is meant to simplify your onboarding —not introduce complicated steps, navigation, or challenging processes to confuse and frustrate the new hire.
It is essential to understand the importance of a user interface and pick a software that offers intuitive design, ease of access, a visually appealing layout, and can be customized as per your organizational policies.
2. Automated processes and workflows
Automating some (or all) of your employee onboarding processes saves you time and provides an excellent employee experience from the beginning. Automated digital employee onboarding workflows remove repetitive manual steps, pass on the application automatically to the next person in the workflow, send automated reminders/emails to keep stakeholders on track, and ensure that every step of the process is carried out accurately and consistently.
3. Cloud-based technology
If your employee onboarding software is not accessible for a distributed workforce, you need to update to a cloud-based software. The centralized document storage, state-of-the-art security, and the effortless integration capabilities of cloud technology make your onboarding process hassle-free.
4. Reporting and analytics
Inbuilt analytical and reporting features come in handy to devise, manage, and measure the effectiveness of your onboarding program and identify key areas for improvement.
5. Goal setting
An employee onboarding software should enable your new hires set their daily and weekly targets and allow managers to map them out. Reviewing and checking off these targets makes the appraisal process easier for managers and helps new hires assess their performance, giving them a sense of growth and progress at the new job.
Benefits of Employee Onboarding Software
Implementing an employee onboarding software helps employers facilitate a smooth transition for new hires. Here are a few benefits of employee onboarding software.
1. Stronger employee experience
An employee onboarding software helps build a thoughtful, educational, and engaging onboarding program via video onboarding, interactive training, personalized training material, etc. Providing engaging and effective ways of onboarding boosts engagement, improves employee experience, and helps integrate new hires into the team quickly and efficiently.
Above: With Whatfix for employee onboarding, automate new hire onboarding with guided tutorials directly in your digital apps.
2. Centralizes Employee Documents
HR teams can easily store and find older employee contracts and agreements and key company policies with employee onboarding software. Onboarding software also provide a knowledge base portal that makes much of this info easily searchable by employees, allowing for self-service HR help.
Additionally, employee onboarding software allow you to collect the many onboarding documents included with new hire paperwork without printing physical copies. Going paperless saves your company money on ink and printing costs, helps organize documents better in digital workplaces, and is more environmentally friendly.
3. Improved Onboarding Experience Backed with Data
Employee onboarding software collects data on your onboarding flows and processes and real-user feedback from those going through the new employee experience. These insights allow HR teams to build an optimal employee onboarding experience that is effective and helpful for new hires.
Storing and presenting information with an employee onboarding software ensures accuracy. Materials are centrally kept within a documents manager to check and update at any time. The software ensures that information is always consistent, up-to-date, and accurate, whether it’s a small team of 20 or a global team of 2000.
15 Best Employee Onboarding Software Tools in 2023
Here are the fifteen best employee onboarding software providers that empower HR teams to get new employees up to speed fast:
Whatfix is a digital adoption platform that helps you initiate the perfect handshake with a personalized employee onboarding experience for your new hire.
The platform overlays on your enterprise application to guide new users through the application or software with interactive, in-app walkthroughs. Whatfix guides new employees with its mission-critical software, enabling a faster ramp-up time and improving overall adoption. With the help of a flow-based learning methodology, employees experience in-app and real-time navigational onboarding and training while working on the application.
You can also create employee onboarding task lists and self-help widgets within the application to track employee progress and create a self-serve onboarding journey for your new hires.
2. Creative Employee Onboarding
Creative employee onboarding software enables you to make sure that every new hire’s experience is the same and also their induction program is tailored properly.
The software eliminates manual data entry and paper documents while providing a great employee experience. It helps you create and implement a structured, scalable onboarding where company culture and employee records are securely stored in the cloud and accessible through any device. Key features include:
- Gives employees trouble-free experience across platforms and at their convenience.
- Unified and streamlined process to enable easy tracking of new hire progress.
- Protection of document management to support business modules.
- Personalized hiring workflows by creating custom checklists.
- Set up fully automated multiple workflows.
Eduflow is an interactive platform that allows you to create workflows for your employees to learn something new related to their job or even a new tool. The ability to pick and edit existing templates makes it easier for the HR and/or IT team to customize the onboarding tasks and learning for every new hire. Key features include:
- Break down the onboarding content into microsized, easily digestible steps like getting to know the products, a brief overview of your team, etc.
- Ask for feedback or queries with the solution to ensure that the employee is on the right track.
- Activate new team members through guided exercises, engaging content, and collaborative activities.
- Track every step in the onboarding process
- The rich-text editor helps design courses that look beautiful on all screen sizes.
G2 Rating: 4.5/5
Pricing: $0 – $649
Widely popular for being a self-onboarding solution, BambooHR relieves your HR team of the majority of mundane and repetitive tasks and allows them to spend more time getting to know the new hire and introducing them to the overall culture and practices of the company. Key features include:
- BambooHR’s suite offers complete solutions, including data analytics (HRIS), applicant tracking system, onboarding, compensation, and culture management.
- Electronic signatures and customizable pre-boarding packages.
- Personalize the onboarding experience according to the individual’s role in the organization.
- Manage sensitive people data in one organized and secure HR database.
G2 Rating: 4.5/5
Pricing: $5.25 – $8.75 per month
5. Click Boarding
- Loaded with pre-designed templates and content to easily set up onboarding flow.
- Track employee progress through the onboarding flows.
- Digital signatures.
- Provides a unified experience from applicant tracking to onboarding via Click’s open and accessible employee experience platform.
- Prepares remote workers for success with mobile-first, web-based, and fully automated onboarding.
G2 Rating: 4.1/5
Pricing: Upon request
GoCo offers HR, benefits, and payroll management capabilities. The software is designed with flexibility in mind to streamline and automate the entire human resource workflow, including PTO, time tracking, e-documentation, and of course, onboarding. Key features include:
- Sending digital offer letters and leveraging electronic signatures in one place.
- Acquiring tax withholding and payroll information in minutes.
- Works on computer and mobile devices.
- With GoCo’s proprietary MagicDocs™ technology, you can turn documents into fillable forms with data fields you can store and report on.
- Eliminate double data entry by integrating with ATS to kick off the onboarding process.
G2 Rating: 4.7/5
Pricing: Starts at $5 per employee per month.
There are many great features in HRPartner as a typical HCM & talent management software. One of the most popular of them is onboarding new hires by creating customized employee onboarding checklists. Key features include:
- Set up checklists for any process that requires employees to do several tasks.
- Put all materials in one place to make them easy to access.
- Set reminders to automatically follow up with employees on items they haven’t completed
- Monitor which employees have completed their checklists and which are still outstanding.
- Assign tasks to other stakeholders involved in the onboarding process.
G2 Rating: 4.5/5
Pricing: Starts from $43 to $78
Revamp your new hire process, grow engagement, drive productivity, and boost retention with Talmundo’s powerful onboarding platform. Key features include:
- Interactive to-do lists and fun quizzes to make onboarding fun for the new hires.
- Feedback and analytics to identify obstacles and pain points across the onboarding lifecycle and build practical solutions.
- Deliver diverse content across multiple departments and locations using filters.
- Create, assign, and manage tasks for all onboarding stakeholders with integrated task management.
- Provide answers to new hires with digital chatbots.
Another popular all-in-one HR solution is ClearCompany which is widely known and used for being mobile-friendly. The platform offers a new hire portal, compliance management, background checks, benefits administration, etc. Key features include:
- Automated workflows to easily set deadlines and reminders for new employees during their onboarding journey.
- Smart form capability to skip through the tedious and time-consuming task of entering employee engagement data.
- Provision your new hires with their physical assets needs from one centralized database.
- New hires can view their onboarding packet, meet their team, and complete essential paperwork from any device.
- Auto-fill technology carries information from form to form, reducing errors and time spent entering redundant data.
G2 Rating: 4.6/5
Pricing: Upon request
MentoringCliq enables your organization’s digitally powered mentoring process with their current popular product – virtual mentoring guides. This product enables a wide variety of mentoring methodologies (mentoring circles, 1-1 mentoring, quick mentoring, etc.) through conferencing and communication platforms. Additionally, they integrate with video & audio conferencing platforms to make the virtual onboarding experience & mentoring even easier. Other features include:
- Mentoring Software tailors itself to meet your exact needs quickly.
- Meets all your IT & connectivity requirements, integrations, languages, & more.
- State-of-the-art systems ensure data security and integrity.
- Available on mobile devices.
Continu is a modern learning platform built for enterprise organizations to save time and money by automating repetitive onboarding tasks, ramping up new hires quicker, and boosting employee engagement. Key features include:
- Host virtual instructor-led training workshops
- Generate insightful reports on learner behavior
- SCORM compliant
G2 Rating: 4.7/5
Sage is another all-in-one HR software that boasts impressive employee onboarding functionality. The powerful workflow builder enables you to create and automate onboarding tasks according to your requirements. Key features include:
- Slackbot integration
- Filters to create custom reports and data-rich company graphs
- In-built onboarding templates
- Status reports show where each new employee is in their onboarding process.
- Automate task assigning when new employees join the company.
G2 Rating: 4.3/5
Pricing: Starting at $5.5/user/month
Zenefits is an HR platform that manages processes such as hiring, onboarding, and employee records all in one place. You can streamline your onboarding, benefits, payroll, PTO, and more with one simple, intuitive platform. Key features include:
- Entirely online, and mobile-friendly.
- Create a compensation and benefits package, request a background check, and auto-send offer letters to new hires for e-signature.
- New hires can onboard themselves with information synced to benefits and payroll.
- Employees can even update their records — on the web or mobile devices.
G2 Rating: 4/5
Pricing: Starting from $8 to $21
14. Kin HR
Kin is a fantastic choice of HR software for small businesses that do not have an HR department. The software ensures tasks, paperwork, and expectations are organized right from the start for both onsite and remote workplaces. Key features include:
- Assign and track hiring tasks across your entire team, from IT staff to new hires themselves.
- Create reusable task templates for every type of new hire.
- Assign all employee paperwork and track it through completion.
- Create and sign documents digitally.
G2 Rating: 4.3/5
Pricing: Starting from $3/user/month
15. Work Bright
WorkBright onboarding software takes the cumbersome and traditionally paper-heavy onboarding process and puts it all online. It enables new employees to fill out their W4s, upload photos of licenses and certifications, sign digitally, and complete all the paperwork online before they show up for their first day on the job. Other features include:
- Works on any device
- Reminders are automatically sent out to employees who have not completed their forms with increasing urgency and frequency.
- Allows employees to replicate their paper signature with a fingertip, including accompanying timestamp and IP address records.
- Snap pictures of certifications and documents and upload directly from a phone or tablet.
G2 Rating: 4.8/5
Pricing: Starting at $178/month
How to Choose Your Ideal Employee Onboarding Software
Every employee onboarding software should be easy to use and simple to automate. Beyond that, we all have different needs. Here are a few factors you must consider to make the best decision for your business.
- Figure out your end goal, that is, the objective you are trying to achieve by using an employee onboarding software. Perhaps you want to cut down the costs of manually updating information or want to speed up the time to competency for new hires. The end objective will help you decide the best onboarding software for you.
- If you have a hybrid or remote workforce, analyze if the software provides a consistent experience for all new hires, remote and in-person.
- Set the budget you want to spend on the software.
- Using your set objective as a guide, identify which paid features you would need from the software.
- Consider if the new employee onboarding solution can integrate with your other applications.
- Consider how steep is the learning curve associated with the software.
If your goal is to ensure a seamless software onboarding process for your new hires, then Whatfix digital adoption platform is your go-to solution. Whatfix has helped over 500 global clients create personalized and engaging employee onboarding programs at scale and catapult your employees to rapid productivity.
Whatfix DAP overlays on any web, desktop, and mobile application and guides new users with interactive, in-app walkthroughs of a company’s software tools and digital processes. The platform guides new employees with its mission-critical software, enabling a fast ramp-up time and improving overall application adoption of common business software such as CRM, ERP, HCM, and other enterprise platforms.
Intrigued to learn more about Whatfix? Schedule a free demo with us today!
To learn how your organization can leverage in-app software training, request a demo of Whatfix today.